2009 Sonata Driver Seat Cover Loose
On some 2009 Sonata vehicles, the driver side seat cover may become loose at the left front comer due to the fabric’s retaining clip (see photos). This article provides the service procedure to secure the fabric’s “J” clip to the seat frame.
Model: 2009 Sonata
• # 34 Drill bit (2.81mm / .111″)
• #2 Phillips screw bit
• Measuring tape
• Cordless Drill
• Wear gloves for protection.
• Take care not to bend, scratch, or damage the trim pieces.
1. Remove the front shield (a).
• Starting on the inboard side, pulling the front shield forward away from the seat (b) by disengaging the fastener clips and the snap features on the front shield.
2. Remove power knobs.
• Pull both the adjuster and recliner power knob away from the side shield.
3. Remove the front and rear side shield attachment screws.
4. Remove the side shield.
• Starting at the front comer, pull the side shield away from the seat, disengaging the two snap features on the side shield, then fastener.
• Disengage the 4 snap features at the rear located around the recliner from the inner cover.
• Once the snaps are undone, pull the shield up to slide the recliner “dog house” off the recliner bracket.
5. Attach J strip to cushion pan with the new tapping screw.
• Fold J clip back down to the correct installation position.
• Measure 10mm (3/8″) left from the front edge of the clip and 15mm (9/16″) up from the bottom.
• Mark location and make a pilot hole using a H 34 drill bit.
• Insert new tapping screw part # 10188-05163 and torque to 1.5-1.7Nm (1.1 – 1.25 lb-ft).
6. Attach side shield.
• Starting at the rear of the side shield, slide the side shield recliner “bracket dog”over the recliner bracket.
• Snap the 4 snap features located on the side shield into the inner cover.
• Snap the fastener and the two front snap features into the side member of the cushion pan.
7. Attach the 2 side shield screws.
• Tighten down the front and rear screw with a ” 2 Philip’s tool bit and a cordless Drill.
• Torque Value should be between 1.5 -1.7 Nm. (1.1 – 125 lb-ft)
8. Snap both the adjuster and recliner power knob to the power module’s attachment feature.
• Starting on the outboard side, snap the two front shield snap features into the side shield.
• Then snap the 3 fasteners into the cushion pan.
10. Apply pressure to seat cushion and confirm seat cover fabric is tight and secure.
If you need additional help or advice, please contact us and we will provide you with more information.
Article written by: