Campaign No.2013020002, April 2013 TO: ALL MERCEDES-BENZ CENTERS
Revision SUBJECT: Models X204,204,207,212,216,221, Model Years 2011-2012 Replace Fuel Filter Daimler AG (DAG), the manufacturer of During a specific period of sub-supplier production there were issues with the injection molding process that impaired the flow of material in the mold, which could result in reduced thickness or strength of the flange in certain areas. The flange is situated on top of the fuel filter and is used to connect the fuel filter to the fuel tank. In most cases, fuel cannot leak through this structural irregularity in the flange. However, in some cases the operating pressure (7 bar) along with high operating temperatures could over time lead to the development of a crack in the flange, which may result in fuel leakage and or loss of fuel system pressure and flow. MBUSA therefore has initiated a voluntary recall of all potentially affected vehicles described above. The recall will be conducted to replace the fuel filter in the subject vehicle.
A sample copy of a letter which owners of the affected vehicles will receive is included.
Prior to performing this Recall Campaign:
– Please check VMI to determine if the vehicle is involved in the Campaign and if it has been previously repaired.
– Please review the entire Recall Campaign bulletin and follow the repair procedure exactly as described.
Please note that Recall and Service Campaigns do not expire and may also be performed on a vehicle with a vehicle status indicator.
Approximately 5773 vehicles are involved.
A. Preliminary Work
Note: If fuel tank level is above 3/4 (full) drain fuel tank down to 3/4 (full), for model: • 204, 207, refer to WIS: AR47.10-P-4001FH. • 212: refer to WIS: AR47.10-P-4001EW • 216, 221 refer to WIS: AR47.10-P-4001SX
WARNING! Use only approved fuel extraction tank when removing fuel from a vehicle. Approved fuel extraction equipment can be obtained through the Mercedes-Benz Standard Service Equipment Program (SSEP) by calling (888) 458-4040. Risk of explosion caused by fuel igniting, risk of poisoning caused by inhaling and swallowing fuel and risk of injury to eyes and skin caused by contact with fuel. No fire, sparks, open flames or smoking. Pour fuel only into suitable and appropriately marked containers. Wear protective clothing when handling fuel.
1. Disconnect battery ground cable for model:
• 204 refer to WIS: AR54.10-P-0003CW.
• 207, 212 refer to WIS: AR54.10-P-0003EW.
• 216, 221 refer to WIS: AR54.10-P-0003SX.
2. Remove rear seat cushion for model:
• 204, 212 refer to WIS: AR91.12-P-1020CW.
• 207 refer to WIS: AR91.12-P-1020EC.
• 216 refer to WIS: AR91.12-P-1020SC.
• 221 (without code 223/224) refer to WIS: AR91 12-P-1020SY, (with code 223/224) refer to WIS: AR47.10-P-4001SX.
Note: The access to the fuel filter is located on driver’s side of vehicle, under rear seat cushion. Illustrations are shown on model 204.0 unless otherwise indicated.
3. Remove fuel pump access cover (A, Figure 1):
• Place insulation (B) to one side.
• Peel back tape (C) from access cover (A).
• Remove bolts (arrows) securing access cover (A) to vehicle’s body then remove cover (A).
- Figure 1
B. Replace Fuel Filter:
1. Disconnect harness connectors (A, Figure 2) from fuel filter (B)
2. Remove paint from fuel tank studs by running a 6 mm x 1 die over the studs (arrow, Figure 2) if required.
Note: Use hand tools only when removing/installing nuts (arrow)
- Figure 2
3. Remove nuts (arrows, Figure 2) securing locking ring (C) to fuel filter (B) then remove locking ring (C).
• Note installed position of locking ring (C).
• Note installed position of fuel filter (B).
• Torque nuts (Figure 8) to 5 Nm +1.5.
Note: Place shop rags around fuel filter opening to absorb any fuel that may be spilled to lessen likelihood of fuel smell in vehicle.
4. Disconnect fuel line connector (arrow, Figure 3) from fuel filter (A).
- Figure 3
• Fuel filter (A, Figures 3, 4) for models 204.0/9, 212, 207, 216.376, 221.171/186/ 176/195/179 is equipped with 3 fuel line fittings.
• Fuel filter (B, Figure 4) for models 216.374/394, 221.173/194/174 is equipped with 2 fuel line fittings.
5. Disconnect harness connector (arrow, Figure 5) from fuel filter (A).
6. Disconnect fuel lines (arrows. Figure 6) from fuel filter (A).
Note: Be careful not to allow fuel lines (arrows) to fall into fuel tank when disconnecting fuel lines (arrows) from fuel filter (A).
- Figure 6
7. Remove fuel filter (A, Figure 6).
Ensure that new fuel filter is installed in the same position in the fuel tank as the old one.
8. Remove fuel filter gasket (arrow, Figure 7) and spacer ring (A)
• Note installed position of spacer ring (A).
• Install new fuel filter gasket (arrow) and spacer ring (A).
- Figure 7
A: Spacer ring.
B: Location of “Top” marking on spacer ring.
Arrow: Location of top notch on spacer ring.
9. Installation is in reverse order – use hand tools only.
• Spacer ring (A, Figure 8) is installed with side marked “Top” (B) facing up.
• Tabs on spacer (A) are facing up. • Torque sequence is observed (Figure 9) – DO NOT over-torque.
(Fuel tank shown out of vehicle, arrow indicates notch on fuel filter)
10. Start vehicle and check fuel system for leaks.
Please be aware that only the part number(s) referenced in the Campaign Bulletin is
approved for use to repair the vehicle. Repairs performed using any other part(s) will not
have been performed in accordance with the campaign. Accordingly, warranty claims
submitted with reference to an improper part number(s) will be denied.
The following allowable labor operation should be used when submitting a warranty claim for
Operation: Replace fuel filter 02-7961
Extra work for replace fuel filter: Empty and fill fuel tank (02-7970)
Operation code times are subject to change.
NOTE REGARDING CUSTOMER REIMBURSEMENT
Reimbursement to customers for repairs performed prior to this recall:
If the customer already paid to have this recall campaign condition repaired and provides adequate
documentation to support their claim of a non-warranty repair of this item, they may be eligible to receive
reimbursement. Requests for reimbursement may include parts, labor, fees and taxes. Reimbursement is limited
to the amount the repair of the fuel filter would have cost if completed by an authorized Mercedes-Benz dealer
under this campaign.
The customer reimbursement amount should be entered in the “Sublet” field of the actual campaign claim.
• The repair date should be the date that the actual campaign was performed.
• The dealer text must state: Owner reimbursement for Recall Campaign____________ (insert applicable Recall
Campaign number) prior to notification has been included in the “Sublet” field of the claim.
All supporting documentation regarding the customer’s invoice is still required as per the normal original
process as stated on the Recall Campaign bulletin.
Reimbursement to the vehicle owner shall be either by check or cash.
Whether or not the prior repair was performed at an independent repair facility or at a Mercedes-Benz
Authorized Dealership, total reimbursement requested must be submitted as a “Sublet” on the actual
Note: If the Owner is still in possession of the vehicle with an Open Recall Campaign the dealer must
arrange to close the Recall Campaign in the usual manner (by performing the repair completely as stated
in the Recall Campaign bulletin).
Dear Mercedes-Benz Owner,
This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.
Daimler AG (DAG), the manufacturer of Mercedes-Benz vehicles, has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain Model Year 2011 – 2012 C-Class, GLK, E-Class Sedan and Coupe, CL and S-Class vehicles with
regard to the fuel filter flange. Our records indicate that your vehicle is included in the affected population of vehicles.
WE SENT YOU THIS NOTICE BECAUSE WE ARE CONCERNED ABOUT YOUR SAFETY.
DAG has determined that due to issues during the injection molding process of a sub-supplier, the affected fuel filter flanges might contain an irregularity. The flange is situated on top of the fuel filter and is used to connect the fuel filter to the fuel tank. In most cases, fuel cannot leak through this irregularity in the flange. However, in some cases the operating pressure along with high operating temperatures could over time lead to the development of a crack in the flange, which may result in fuel leakage and/or loss of fuel system pressure and flow. Fuel leakage in the presence of an external ignition source may lead to a vehicle fire. An
authorized Mercedes-Benz dealer will replace the fuel filter in your vehicle to correct this condition.
This service will be provided free of charge. The working time required is approximately 2 hours. If possible, please arrange it so your fuel level is at no more than one half tank when you bring your vehicle to the dealer. This will help to reduce the time to complete the repair. As a matter of normal service process, an authorized Mercedes-Benz dealer will also check for other repair measures which might be applicable to your vehicle and this may increase the required working time.
Please contact MERCEDES-BENZ OF ANYTOWN, 201-555-1234 or other authorized dealer, for additional information and
to schedule an appointment at your earliest convenience. To locate additional authorized dealers please see
www.MBUSA.com/dealerlocator. Please mention Recall Campaign #2013020002.
If you are no longer the vehicle owner, or have a change of address, please complete the reverse side of this letter and return the completed letter in the enclosed envelope. If this is a leased vehicle and the lessor and registered owner receive this notice, please forward this information by first class mail to the lessee within 10 days to comply with federal regulations. If you have paid to have this recall condition corrected prior to this notice you may be eligible to receive reimbursement. Please see the reverse
side of this notice for details.
Please contact an authorized Mercedes-Benz dealer should you have any questions or encounter any difficulty regarding this
recall. If a dealer is unable to remedy your situation please contact us at 1-(800) FOR-Mercedes (1-800-367-6372).
If an authorized Mercedes-Benz dealer or MBUSA fails or is unable to perform this service without charge within 60 days, pursuant to law 49 U.S.C. Chapter 301, you may submit a complaint to the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety
Administration, 1200 New Jersey Avenue, S.E., Washington, D.C. 20590 or call the toll-free Auto Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153); or go to http://www.safercar.gov.
We apologize for any inconvenience this situation may cause you.
Mercedes-Benz – are registered trademarks of Daimler AG. Stuttgart. Germany
Mercedes-Benz USA. LLC
One Mercedes Drive
P.O. Box 350
Montvale, NJ 07645-0350
Phone I -8OO-FOR-Mercedes (1-800-367-6372)
Prepare By Master Tech Lee
Article written by:
20 May,2014 | Tags: Campaign No.2013020002, Fuel Filter, Fuel Filter Change, Fuel Leak, Fuel Tank Flange, How to Repair a Car, Import Vehicle Repair, Mercedes fuel pump, Mercedes fuel pump repair, Model Years, Recall Campaign____________, Replace Fuel Filter